When a dog enters our program they are given the royal treatment from day 1! Poodle Rescue of Houston maintains a surgical suite on-site to better care for our valued guests.
It is our goal to bring every dog in our program to a healthy state of adoption while also helping them overcome their fears, so they can be great companions who know they are loved.
In order to do this, PRH has the following procedures in place for every poodle, poodle-mix, and honorary poodle that enters our Rehabilitation Program:
- A licensed vet assesses and treats the dogs for injuries/illnesses, be it stitches, surgery, or bandages.
- We bathe and groom every dog that enters our program. This sounds easy, but a lot of our rescued dogs are so matted that it's like shearing sheep - a process which can take hours.
- We treat for fleas immediately.
- We treat every dog for parasites (roundworm, hookworm, tapeworms, etc)
- We check for Kennel Cough, Mange, and eye & ear infections.
- We test for heartworms:
- If they are positive, PRH treats the disease with protocols established by the American Heartworm Society treatments for heartworms.
- If they are negative, the dogs are immediately prepared for adoption.
- We monitor food intake and slowly bring the malnourished back to health.
- We microchip each dog.
- We vaccinate all dogs in our program, so they are up to date when they are adopted!
- We immediately place all dogs into our Social Enrichment Program.
Dogs received from public shelters or other places of suspected contamination are quarantined for 2 weeks while we ensure they are in good health.
Some dogs require very little in the way of rehab while others require a lot. This level of loving care comes with a price, which is why we need the support of people just like you!
On average the costs for comparable commercial veterinarian services for dogs are as follows:
- Heartworm treatments: $400-$1300
- Vaccinations: $50
- Intestinal Parasite Treatments: $50
- Initial & 2 Months of Flea Treatment Cost: $40-$50
- Teeth Cleaning: $260
- Spay Cost: $105 - $300
- Neuter Cost: $65 - $225
- Wound Repair: $125-$325
- Growth Removals: $125-$725
- Amputation: $755
- Microchip: $30
- Initial Grooming: $35-$100
- Kisses: FREE
Please consider becoming a PRH Gold Member, so that we can continue to rescue and rehabilitate as many poodles, poodle mixes and honorary poodles as possible.